BRA Receives Four Proposals in Response to Parcels 9 & 10 RFP
The BRA received 4 proposals today in response to the RFP for Parcels 9 & 10 in Roxbury. Below is a summary of the proposals. The proposals will be reviewed internally by BRA staff and then presented to the community after the internal review is completed.
Parcels 9 & 10 RFP Submissions
Proposal for Parcels 9 & 10
Washington Crossing Partners, LLC
209 Elm Street, 200
Duxbury, MA 02332
Team includes: In-Town Development Enterprises, LLC-Department Partner: Beverley Johnson and Victor Karen, Principals. They will work in partnership with Tom Bauer, Principal of Bauer Properties-Equity Partner.
Project Name: Washington Crossing
Summary: $140 million redevelopment project with 381,494 square feet of commercial, retail, and workforce housing, and approximately 250 parking spaces to service Parcels 9 and 10. Total of 144 new units. Retail component would include expansion opportunities for local and minority-owned businesses such as Tropical Foods.
Parcel 10 includes:
- 200,500 GSF of commercial, retail and workforce housing
- Retail component includes a new, expanded Tropical Foods, that will serve as the gateway. Program includes 28,025 GSF on the ground floor for retail operations and an additional 28,025 GSF on the upper level for Tropical Foods administrative office and storage. Also includes 15,200 GSF for business and support services retail.
- 65 units of workforce housing in a 6-story building with ground-floor retail located at Shawmut Ave and Melnea Cass Blvd.
- 14 townhouse units along Williams Street.
Parcel 9 includes:
- Five-story commercial building of approximately 107,000 GSF with ground-floor retail on corner of Washington & Melnea Cass Blvd. Commercial space would be marketed to educational and academic institutions looking for research and satellite office space.
- 65 new workforce housing units in a five-story building to be constructed adjacent to Jim Rice Field.
Proposals for Parcel 9
Parcel 9 Partners, LLC – a joint venture between New Atlantic Development (Peter Roth) and Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (David Price.)
59 Temple Place, 1000
Boston, MA 02111
Project Name: Shawmut Green
Summary: $28.5 million, 107,870 GSF mixed-use redevelopment project. A transit-oriented, mixed-income urban village featuring:
- 78 workforce housing units, both rental and ownership (LEED gold quality);
- expansion of the Dudley Square district with 11,000 square feet of high-quality retail space (destination retail and locally owned shops);
- a new 2,000 square-foot Lower Roxbury Entrepreneurship Training Center, developed in conjunction with United Neighbors of Lower Roxbury;
- permanent and rotating public art installations; supported by institutions such as the Museum of Afro-American Art and ACT Roxbury.
- 86 parking spaces and 140 bicycle spaces.
Urbanica Design + Development (Kamran Zahedi, Manager)
142 Berkeley Street, 402
Boston, MA 02116
Project name: Melnea Hotel & Residences
- 129,170 GSF mixed-use development
- 10-story, 150-162 room hotel
- Approximately 20,000 GSF ground-floor commercial, restaurant and community space
- 52 units of mixed-income housing
- Parking for 139 cars
Proposal for Parcel 10
Madison Tropical, LLC
A joint venture between Madison Park CDC (Jeanne Pinado) and Tropical Foods International (Ronn Garry, Jr.)
184 Dudley Street, 102
Roxbury, MA 02119
Summary: Proposal includes a project that would integrate Parcel 10 and the adjacent building and land now owned by Tropical Foods with commercial and residential uses. Development program includes:
- 148,000 GSF mixed-use development
- A new, 20,000 GSF, modern supermarket for Tropical Foods and second floor warehousing and office space (20,000 GSF) (building A)
- 36 mixed-income residential apartments in a new building with street level retail and upper floor commercial office space. (building B)
- Conversion of 2101 Washington Street into 30 affordable apartments with street level retail (building C)
- At-grade landscaped parking
- A network of internal pedestrian walkways that tie into the public sidewalk system.
- 161 parking spaces.